This tasty dish comes from Russia, the main ingredients are good quality beef and sour cream. It is easy and quick to prepare and cook
You can use any steak cut, our Rump Steak works very well and is low cost. Posh versions flambé the steak in brandy, some people include such ingredients as paprika and double cream, but we are sticking close to the original flavours for this recipe.
Ingredients to serve 2
- Half a pack of First Choice Meats Rump Steak
- Small tub of sour cream
- Half a dozen shallots or a couple of small onions (or even 1 large one)
- 100g chestnut or button mushrooms (half a punnet)
- Large glass of red wine
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Knob of butter and some olive oil
- Long grain Rice – 75g per person
- Cut steak into ribbons – they don’t need to be an exact size, just thin enough to cook really quickly, so about 5mm / quarter inch
- Slice mushrooms and shallots
- Smash up the garlic – crush and chop or use a garlic press.
- Put a saucepan of water on to boil for the rice. Wash the rice in a sieve, and add to the water as soon as it is boiling. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 12 minutes or so – until just soft to bite. Once you have the rice cooking you can make the stroganoff.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and half the butter in a frying pan. Add the steak ribbons a few at a time, so they seal and do not fill the pan with juices. Cook and turn until coloured, then remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the rest of the butter, then the mushrooms to the pan. Sauté until browned.
- Add a little oil to the pan if you need it, and the garlic and shallots or onions, cooked until softened, then add the wine and simmer for 5 mins or until the wine has reduced to half..
- Return the steak and mushrooms to the pan, season with salt and black pepper. Heat for a couple minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the cream and serve on a bed of rice.