This is a rich, sweet and peppery dish. The redcurrant balances the venison, and the cayenne gives it a spicy kick. The recipe serves 2. A 750g pack has 5 or 6 steaks – so multiply it up if you are feeding more – or if you are just hungry!
- 2 First Choice Venison Haunch Steaks
- Glass of red wine
- 2 tablespoons of redcurrant jelly
- 3 shallots – thin sliced, or 1 small onion – halved and thin sliced
- Cayenne pepper to taste – a good pinch
- Knob of butter and a tablespoon of olive oil
- good pinch of dried thyme
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, melt the butter in it until it stops sizzling.
- Cook steaks for a minute each side. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add shallots or onions to the pan, cook on low heat until translucent.
- Add cayenne and let it sizzle a bit, wakes the full flavour of the spice.
- Return steaks to the pan, bring heat up and add the wine to deglaze (stops it being greasy).
- Add thyme, season with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer for 15 mins.
Serve with your choice of potato and veg – mine was savoy cabbage and baked potato. Potato buttered and finished under the grill.